World AIDS Day Campaign
The African Women’s Development Fund (AWDF) is putting out a call for its annual World AIDS Day Grant.
The World AIDS Day, is observed on the 1st of December every year. The day which is celebrated on or around the 1st of December every year is an opportunity to intensify awareness raising around HIV issues in diverse ways. The Campaign is dedicated to raising awareness of the HIV/AIDS Pandemic and to demonstrate global solidarity in the face of the pandemic. The campaign is an opportunity for all stakeholders to highlight the progress made and the challenges besetting the response to the pandemic as well as to encourage various stakeholders and government to facilitate progress in HIV/AIDS prevention, treatment and care around the world. For 2015, the global World AIDS Day theme is “Getting to Zero” by 2015 – Zero AIDS Related Deaths, Zero New Infections and Zero Discrimination.
In support of the 2015 World AIDS Day Campaign, AWDF would support innovate initiatives by small to medium sized women led organisations in Africa working to:
- Address stigma and discrimination against women living with HIV/AIDS
- Empower women living with HIV to participate effectively and take the lead in the HIV response in their various communities.
- Create the platform for women and girls to speak on women susceptibility to HIV infection and or issues affecting women living with HIV/AIDS
The World AIDS day grant is under the AWDF small grants programme. They are usually one off activities and events to commemorate the day.
Time frame for the call
The current call is opened from 10th August to 11th September 2015. Applicants are to send in proposals with innovative but effective strategies to address issues relating to the peculiar impact of HIV&AIDS on Women and girls.
- Must have been in existence for at least 3 years
- Must be duly registered, at least with its local government structure
- Must be led by a woman and have a focus on Women’s Rights
- Must have the needed organizational structures
- Must have an appreciable financial management system
- Must be capable of reporting back on the outcomes of the project
- Must be highly recommended by a donor agency, a grantee or partner of AWDF or the local government office
- Must complete the necessary application forms
- Must have an annual budget no more than $50,000
Grant Size & Period
The grant size is a $1,000. Therefore eligible projects should have a budget of not more than $1,000. The grant period will be for 4 months from the date of award.
How to Apply
Interested small to medium sized women rights organisations should send in their proposals using the required application guidelines to the AWDF secretariat via email to [email protected]; [email protected] or post to:
The African Women’s Development Fund
Office: Plot 78 Ambassadorial Enclave, East Legon
Post: P.M.B CT 89 Cantonments, Accra, Ghana
Tel : +233 289 669 666
The applicant must also complete and include a financial management assessment forms and an outcome form, all downloadable here:
The successful applicant is expected to send in one comprehensive report highlighting the various activities, lessons learnt, stories and achievements of the project. The organisation must be able to document stories and lessons learnt for sharing with AWDF and other stakeholders. Labelled photographs of project activities in j-peg format should be attached to the report.
NOTE: Please note that this is a very competitive process and only organizations with innovative but effective strategies who will be supported. Only successful applicants will be contacted.