Vision and Mission
The vision of the AWDF is for women to live in a world where there is social justice, equality and respect for women’s human rights.
Our mission is to mobilise financial, human and material resources to support African women and the work of the African women’s movement to advance women’s rights and gender equality in Africa. We believe that if women and women’s organisations are empowered with skills, information, sustainable livelihoods, opportunities to fulfill their potential, plus the capacity and space to make transformatory choices, then we will have vibrant, healthy and inclusive communities.
- Women’s rights. We believe in the personhood of African women, and that their rights are an inalienable, indivisible and integral part of universal human rights.
- Women’s work. We believe in acknowledging, valuing and rewarding women’s paid and unpaid labour in the private and public.
- Solidarity. We believe in solidarity, partnerships, networking, and commitment to young women’s leadership and an inter-generational transfer of skills and knowledge.
- Feminism. We believe in nurturing feminist principles and promoting feminist leadership.
- Diversity. We believe in our own diversity and recognise the benefit of working with diverse institutions and individuals.
- Partnerships. We believe in, and encourage partnerships and alliances with men who are committed to the empowerment of women.
- Women’s leadership. We believe in the growth and long-term sustainability of organisations led and managed by women in a democratic, transparent and progressive manner.
- Creating Enabling Environments. We believe that the African women’s movement is part of a broader movement within and outside Africa, aimed at creating an enabling environment for good governance, social justice and equality, and which tries to counter the negative consequences of globalisation.
- Sustainable Movements. We believe that our work is linked to that of a global women’s movement which has worked hard for gains for women and which is sustained by the voices, hands and work of women from all over the world.