African women and tech activism (25 November – 10 December)
We live in a world increasingly shaped by mobile and online communication technologies. African uptake and participation in social media and mobile-technology platforms continues to grow. What does this mean for African women and girls?
For the 16 Days of Activism against Gender Based Violence this year, AWDF is looking to support African women’s rights organisations to organise initiatives that focus on women, communication technologies and activism against violence. Applications should be for up to USD$1,000. We are interested to receive applications from initiatives that engage young women and girls- in particular those led by young women themselves.
We encourage innovation- so send in your great ideas! Some ideas for projects include:
- Addressing cyber-harassment and online abuse of women
- Building women’s skills around privacy, security and activism against GBV online and in social media
- Supporting coding and app development around ending GBV
- Using online/social media tools for advocacy and changing mind-sets around violence against women
- Creating space for young and marginalised women to build community and discuss issues of bodily integrity, autonomy and freedom from violence using communication technologies.
How to apply
Please follow the guidelines below. Note that the maximum amount of grant allowed is $1,000. If you are awarded a grant, you will be expected to send in a report of your activities that contain concrete outcome(s) of the activities implemented.
Applicants must fit AWDF’s general grantee guidelines (women-led, African women’s rights organisations).
Questions to answer:
1. CONTACT INFORMATION
- Name of Organization
- Address (Postal and Physical)
- Telephone and Fax number
- E-mail address, and World Wide Web address (if any)
- Contact person’s name and title
- Who completed this proposal? Please sign and date
- How did you learn about the African Women’s Development Fund?
2. ORGANISATIONAL INFORMATION
- What are your organization’s main goals?
- When was your organization formed/
- Who started your organization and why?
- Is your organization local, national, sub – regional, or regional?
- Who are the main beneficiaries of your organization’s activities?
- Is your organization women-led?
- Is your organisation a women’s rights organisation? Do you identify as feminist? (please explain some characteristics that proves it)
3. Activities and / or programs
- What are your organisations key programme areas?
- Describe your organizations present activities and /or programs
- How does the project you are apply for fit into those plans?
- State number of board members, staff, volunteers and members if any. How many are women?
- What is your annual operating budget for the last 3 years?
- Who are your donors for the current year?
6. Grant Request Information
- How much money are you applying for?
- For what purpose are you seeking a grant for 16 Days of Activism against Gender based Violence from the African Women’s Development Fund? Please tell us specifically and clearly what activities the grant will be used for.
- What are the objectives of the project?
- What are the expected outcomes?
- Expected number of direct beneficiaries and how they will benefit.
- Expected number of indirect beneficiaries and how they will benefit.
- Where will the project take place?
- Provide a detailed budget for the project, if you have prepared the budget using your local currency; please include the US dollar equivalent.
APPLICATIONS SHOULD NOT EXCEED 4 PAGES
- Please attach a reference letter from one of your donors, an AWDF grantee or a government agency or local authority where the project will be implemented.
- You also must complete a financial management form and an outcome forms
Applications are due by September 5th 2016
Applications should be submitted to the following addresses:
The Grants Administrator
The African Women’s Development Fund
Plot 78 Ambassadorial Enclave, East Legon
PMB CT 89, Cantonments
Tel: + 233 289 669666; +233 242 700881
TO DOWNLOAD THE CALL PLEASE CLICK HERE: 16 DAYS Guidelines 2016