Vision and Mission
The vision of the AWDF is for women to live in a world where there is social justice, equality and respect for women’s human rights.
Our mission is to mobilise financial, human and material resources to support African women and the work of the African women’s movement to advance women’s rights and gender equality in Africa. We believe that if women and women’s organisations are empowered with skills, information, sustainable livelihoods, opportunities to fulfill their potential, plus the capacity and space to make transformatory choices, then we will have vibrant, healthy and inclusive communities.
- Respect: We believe in the personhood of African women, and that our rights are an inalienable, indivisible and integral part of universal human rights.
- Diversity. We believe in non-discrimination,
proactive inclusiveness and diversity
in all areas of AWDF’s operations and
- Feminist Leadership. We believe in nurturing feminist principles and promoting feminist leadership, with ethics at the heart of all we do.
- Professionalism, Accountability and Stewardship. We believe in the growth and long-term sustainability of organisations led and managed by women in democratic, transparent and progressive ways. As fundraisers and grantmakers we believe in prudent, ethical and responsible stewardship of all funds and resources in our care.
- Solidarity and Partnerships. We believe that change happens through collective action. We are committed to building African women’s and feminist movements, and recognise that this organising is linked to movements for justice and equality across the world.