Immediate supervisor: Deputy Director
Position summary: To develop and manage Prospera’s capacity building program (on learning, monitoring and evaluation; finance and administration; local
fundraising; advocacy, among others) as well as to be the liaison between member funds from Africa and the network.
Principal tasks and responsibilities:
• Work collaboratively with other team members to develop and define Prospera’s program strategies.
• Lead the development of grant proposals for funding related to the capacity building program or of work with funds in the African region.
• Manage and supervise capacity building program activities, designing work plans and following up on the implementation of the program´s strategy and budget, on a global level.
• Identify, build and manage relationships and networks with member funds, stakeholders and civil society actors and government bodies in Africa, in
coordination with the Director of Programs.
• Facilitate information sharing and coordination among all member funds, including those related to grant making and any other program processes
• Provide technical assistance and coaching to member funds, on an ad hoc basis.
• Develop criteria, indicators and benchmarks to monitor and evaluate progress in meeting the capacity building program´s goals and advancing Prospera´s strategy.
• Contribute to producing a range of documents related to the program as well as in the region.
• Continually scan the fields related to women´s human rights, philanthropy,organizational development and capacity building, follow key developments and debates, keep abreast of the academic and popular literature, share key findings and lessons among colleagues in the field.
• Represent Prospera in public meetings and conferences.
• Represent Prospera in Africa and develop a relationship to support the Women’s Funds based in the African region.
• Other related tasks as assigned.
Internal relationships: The Program Officer will be the point person for all work on the capacity building program, as well as the liaison between the network and the funds from Africa, and will therefore interact with all members of the team on issues relating to the program and the region.
External relationships: The Program Officer will have ongoing direct interactions with staff and women´s funds from Africa. The Program Officer will also interact with all consultants and external partners contributing to the capacity building program.
Educational level: Masters degree in the social sciences or humanities is preferred.
Languages: English required, French and/or Portuguese strongly preferred
Previous experience: 5-7 Years program management experience; management of learning, Monitoring and Evaluation methodologies; grant writing experience; developing programs for capacity building of women’s or civil society organizations; management of relations with donors; writing narrative reports.
At least seven years of professional experience leading or collaborating on civil society strategies related to women´s human rights and/or philanthropy for women´s rightsin Africa.
Specific knowledge, skills and abilities:
• Previous knowledge regarding gender issues and/or global philanthropy preferred.
• Understanding of the needs of women´s rights organizations and funds, particularly in the key areas related to organizational strengthening and capacity building.
• Demonstrable success in planning and implementing programs related to organizational development or capacity building or in designing grantmaking programs.
• Very good verbal and written communication skills.
• Effective interpersonal, communication and team-working skills.
• Conscientious and detail oriented.
• Ability to work independently, while still part of a team, and adapt to quick changing circumstances.
• Personal qualities of humility, capacity for self-reflection and a sense of humor.
40% travel within Africa and to other international destinations required
To Apply, please send a Cover Letter and updated Resume to Alexandra Garita at
To download Application in it’s entirety please click HERE